With the introduction of the Pro-Tech 8 FUSION in the Summer of 2010 we have created a structural firefighting glove that continues to expand our lead in superior dexterity, grip, comfort, fit and strategically re-enforced hand protection.
Pro-Tech 8 FUSION again offers our ground breaking multi-layer construction in a new design which results in a stunningly light-weight, flexible and comfortable glove that goes well beyond all the protective and performance requirements of the NFPA 1971 Standard – 2007 Edition.
Most importantly, FUSION again maximizes “gloves-on capability” through all your various fire ground tasks which is the ultimate enhancement to hand safety.
This glove breaks in extremely fast and remains soft and flexible after use. The unique Pro-Tech 8 multi-layer knuckle guard system appears again for enhanced protection at this vulnerable spot while FUSION introduces a new Mesh Knit inner liner that advances earlier improvements for efficient don and doff performance, especially when wet.
The FUSION Long Cuff “wristlet” style features our unique Kevlar® elastic cuff band which prevents debris from entering and eliminates glove slip off.
This Long Cuff version extends the actual glove body which guarantees the NFPA 1971 indicated protection of 35 TPP minimum. The outdated and difficult to don knit wristlets used by other glove makers lose their shape and elasticity and even worse, they are allowed to provide a significantly reduced level of protection of 20 TPP.
At the vulnerable glove-sleeve interface, FUSION provides you with superior protection and performance!
(Certified compliant to NFPA 1971 – 2007 Edition by Safety Equipment Institute)
Design and Features
- By using varied layering schemes throughout our Pro-Tech 8 gloves we can avoid bulking up finger side walls with leather, as all competitor gloves do which is guaranteed to reduce their flexibility, dexterity, grip and comfort. At the same time our layering scheme provides reinforced protection in the most vulnerable areas of your hands as opposed to the outdated and bulky “same layers everywhere” design of other makers.
- A new first of its kind mesh knit inner liner reduces friction during don and doff which allows for greater efficiency both dry and wet.
- Glove back side features our unique 7-layer flexible knuckle guard system which provides enhanced thermal protection and cut/puncture resistance at the vulnerable knuckle compression point; a well-known firefighting hazard.
- Unique stitching down of the outer palm layer prevents bunching up of material and promotes a more efficient grip.
- The ring and middle finger’s suede are cut and sewn independently for enhanced dexterity.
- Gathered stitching is used around the entire wrist for a secure fit and reduces debris from entering the glove.
- The glove inner liners are sewn and bonded in at each fingertip for maximum retention and efficient wet don and doff. A leather hang-up loop is provided on the glove inside for easy drying and storage.
- The Pro-Tech 8 FUSION Long Cuff wristlet style features a Kevlar® elastic inner cuff band for them most secure fit and to prevent debris from entering. The wristlet section is actually an extension of the glove body construction which provides significantly more protection and easier don and doff than traditional knit wristlets; specifically for use with turnout gear that does not have thumb wristlets or long wristlets
Materials & Layering
- The palm side outermost layer is highly flexible water repellant goat skin suede.
- Cut and heat resistant knitted Kevlar/Nomex forms the second palm side layer.
- A special mesh knit made of 100% modacrylic forms the third layer of the palm side and serves as the inner liner, while the palm side fingers have been further reinforced with a layer of knitted 100% modacrylic.
- The knuckle guard portion has an outer layer of 100% Kevlar®, two layers of silicon carbide both fused with 100% Kevlar®, another layer of 100% Kevlar® and another layer of modacrylic knit which represents the inner liner. This unique flexible 7-layer system provides repetitive thermal protection and cut/puncture resistance at the vulnerable knuckle compression point.
- In addition to the knuckle guard section, the back side outer layer is formed alternately by the sueded leather and a layer of cut and heat resistant 100% Kevlar® knit which runs the length of the glove from finger tips to cuff edge.
- Back side of the fingers are reinforced with a layer of knitted modacrylic while the special mesh knit modacrylic forms the next layer of the back side serving as the inner liner.
- Finger sidewalls are comprised of an outer layer of Kevlar/Nomex and two additional layers of 100% modacrylic knit.
- The glove inside is fully lined with two layers of a highly breathable completely sealed polymer membrane to prevent liquid penetration and to protect against bloodborne pathogens.
- 100% Kevlar® high burst thread is used throughout the gloves.
- Reflective tape is used on the glove back side near the wrist area.